People assume that office politics involves some manipulative （工于心计的）behavior,” says Deborah Comer, an assistant professor of management at Hofstra University. (2004年6月)
A recent study, published in last week’s Journal of the American Medical Association, offers a picture of how risky it is to get a lift from a teenage driver. (2003年9月)
·名词和代词后面的That; who; when; where等关系词、连接词。
·基本结构：A, AB, BC, CD
The child A
A who is raised in an environment B
B where there are many stimuli C
C which develop his or her capacity for appropriate responses D
will experience greater intellectual development.
6. 看到as, rather, as well,呢？
·For a family of four, for example,
·it is more convenient as well as cheaper to sit comfortably at home,
·with almost unlimited entertainment available,
·than to go out
·in search of amusement elsewhere.
·该句主干易确定，it is more A than B.
What refrigeration（冷藏技术）did effectively promote was marketing --marketing hardware and electricity, marketing soft drinks, marketing dead bodies of animals around the globe in search of a good price.
What refrigeration（冷藏技术） did effectively promote
--marketing hardware and electricity, marketing soft drinks, marketing dead bodies of animals
around the globe
in search of a good price.
Tracking whales is but one example of an exciting new world just opening to civilian scientists after the cold war as the Navy starts to share and partly uncover its global network of underwater listening system built over the decades to track the ships of potential enemies.
The fridge is considered a necessity. It has been so since the 1960s when packaged food first appeared with the label: “store in the refrigerator.”
In my fridgeless fifties childhood, I was fed well and healthily.
1. The reality that has blocked my path to becoming the typical successful student is that engineering and the liberal arts simply don't mix as easily as I assumed in high school.
2. Robert Foss, a scientist at the University of North Carolina Highway Safety Research Center, says the higher death rates for teenage drivers have less to do with “really stupid behavior” than with just a lack of driving experience.
3. Both he and the author of the study believe that the way to mitigate (缓解)the problem is to have states institute so-called graduated licensing systems, in which getting a license is a multistage process.
4. What is most important, different layers of ocean water can act as channels for sounds, focusing them in the same way a stethoscope （听诊器） does when it carries faint noises from a patient’s chest to a doctor’s ear.
5. The key to preventing or treating behavior problems is learning to teach the dog to redirect its normal behavior to outlets that are acceptable in the domestic setting.
6. Non-smokers remembered 19 percent more of the most important information than active smokers, and deprived smokers bested those who had smoked a cigarette just before testing.
7. Deeply involved with this new technology is a breed of modern businesspeople who have a growing respect for the economic value of doing business abroad.
8. The employee posted abroad who speaks the country's principal language has an opportunity to fast-forward certain negotiations, and can have the cultural insight to know when it is better to move more slowly.
9. Historically, most physical-fitness tests have usually included measures of muscular strength and endurance, not for health-related reasons, but primarily because such fitness components have been related to performance in athletics.
10. “But those who want to ban the bomb for American citizens claim that if you have one locked in the cabinet, with the fuse in a drawer, you would never be able to assemble it in time to stop an intruder （侵入者）”.
11. The report cites two main causes: increasing physical isolation—brought on by high divorce rates and less involvement in community, among other things—and a growing perception that the world is a more dangerous place.
1. Training should be fun and rewarding for you and your dog. It can enrich your relationship and make living together more enjoyable. A well-trained dog is more confident and can more safely be allowed a greater amount of freedom than an untrained animal.
Question: When a dog has received effective obedience training, its owner ____.
A) can give the dog more rewards
B) will enjoy a better family life
C) can give the dog more freedom
D)will have more confidence in himself
2. Heroes are catalysts (催化剂) for change. They have a vision from the mountaintop. They have the skill and the charm to move the masses. They create new possibilities. Without Gandhi, India might still be part of the British Empire. Without Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King, Jr., we might still have segregated (隔离的) buses, restaurants, and parks. It may be possible for large-scale change to occur without leaders with magnetic personalities, but the pace of change would be slow, the vision uncertain, and the committee meetings endless.
Question: Gandhi and Martin Luther King are typical examples of outstanding leaders who _____.
A) are good at demonstrating their charming characters
B) can move the masses with their forceful speeches
C) are capable of meeting all challenges and hardships
D) can provide an answer to the problems of their people
3. A Labour Party Member of the Parliament, Mike Foster, is trying to get Parliament to approve a new law which will make the hunting of wild animals with dogs illegal. If the law is passed, wild animals like foxes will be protected under the ban in Britain.
A new law may be passed by the British Parliament to ________.
A) prohibit farmers from hunting foxes
B) forbid hunting foxes with dogs
C) stop hunting wild animals in the countryside
D) prevent large-scale fox hunting
First, Americans as a whole tend to be fairly provincial and take more of an interest in local affairs. Knowledge of world geography, for example, has never been strong in this country.
The word “provincial” most probably means _____.（1999年6月）
A) limited in outlook B) like people from the provinces
C) rigid in thinking D) interested in world financial affairs
解题思路：provincial后面的并列句子take more of an interest in local affairs是对provincial一词的复述。“对地方事务更感兴趣”表明provincial就是狭隘。A是最好的解释。后面举例子是确认第一推测的双保险。
The fourth test required people to read a passage, then answer questions about it. Non-smokers remembered 19 percent more of the most important information than active smokers, and deprived smokers bested those who had smoked a cigarette just before testing. Active smokers tended not only to have poorer memories but also had trouble separating important information from insignificant details. （1998年6月）
The word“bested”(Line 3, Para. 5) most probably means _______.
A) beat B) envied C) caught up with D) made the best of
In recent years, many Americans of both sexes and 1 ages have become interested in improving their bodies. They have become 2 to physical fitness. The need to exercise has almost become compulsive with many people who have a strong 3 to ‘be more physically fit’.
By nature, Americans are enthusiastic and energetic about their hobbies and pastimes. They typically 4 this enthusiasm, and energy to jogging, running or other exercises. As a result, there are running clubs or gyms to join and many books and magazines to read about 5 fit.
The wish to be physically fit is explained by a “passion” for good health. The high rate of heart attacks in the 1960s caused a sharp 6 on the part of the public in improving their bodies. Nowadays, middle-aged men, in particular, 7 a lot from heart attacks. Consequently, they are one group strongly interested in more physical exercise.
In fact, many doctors 8 their patients to become more physically 9 , especially those who have sedentary (坐着的) jobs. It is interesting to note that the rate of heart attacks began to decrease in the 1970s and it is still decreasing. Physical fitness 10 enjoys a favored role in the United States. It is a new “love” that many Americans have treasured. Will this last long Only time can tell--or until another “new passion” appears.
A) keeping I) always
B) increase J) benefit
C) consistently K) apply
D) currently L) desire
E) devoted M) encourage
F) decrease N) challenging
G) active O) various